Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hawaiian Petroglyph Coasters


I’ve always been fascinated by petroglyphs. Friends who’ve traveled with me could tell you tales of being dragged hundreds of miles off the direct route, just so I could see some petroglyphs. Of spending hours following vague directions along dirt roads and hiking trails in search of rock art. Once on a vacation to Hawaii I fell in love with the Hawaiian petroglyphs. I had just learned stranded color knitting and pictured these simple line figures knit up.

These quick and easy coasters are one of the results. They’re a wonderful way to use up worsted weight leftovers. They’re also a great project to learn stranded knitting. Almost any inconsistency in the beginner’s tension will literally come out in the wash when the coaster is felted.


The set includes four designs:


$5.00

Each of the designs can also be purchased individually.

Pandanus Leaf Fan This design is based on a petroglyph believed to be a fan plaited from pandanus leaves.

$2.00

Dancing Man This man may be running, but I prefer to think of him as dancing.


$2.00

Spiky Headed Man This figure of a man with spikes coming out of his head was too fun not to interpret in wool. Is he wearing a helmet? There’s no knowing, but I like him.


$2.00

Sea Turtle Sea turtles are one of my favorite creatures. They’re so graceful in the water, yet so clumsy on land. And like me, they love to bask in the tropical sun. It’s no wonder the sea turtle was the first petroglyph I interpreted in wool.


$2.00

No comments:

Post a Comment